The Tampa Bay Section of the American Chemical Society (section # 406) was established in 1994. We promote public awareness of chemistry by being involved in outreach programs in our community and work with students to encourage an interest in the chemical science arena.
Our membership is encompasses the Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Manatee and Sarasota counties with 700+ members.
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is one of the largest professional organizations that represent the chemical industry. The ACS supports 160,000+ members globally, publishing its weekly C&EN magazine and up-to-date scientific journals.
- Science Coaches Application Now Open! Partner with a chemist who can help provide support inside and outside the classroom through the Science Coaches program. Science Coaches is a unique opportunity for teachers to work closely with a chemist. Applications are open now through September 1. You can learn more about the Science Coaches program by participating in our free webinar on May 9.
- You may recall that our Younger Chemists Committee (35 and under), won a grant to 'bridge the gap' between industry and academia last year. As a result of the grant, the YCC and the Student Members of the ACS at the University of Tampa are co-hosting an industry networking event at the University of Tampa on the evening of Tuesday, March 26. If you would like to represent your organization at the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Spots are limited, so please respond as soon as possible! We hope you'll join us!
- Congratulations to Tampa Bay's Senior Chemists Chair, Russ Odland for being awarded the senior chemists grant for $300! Way to go Section members!! Let's keep up the great work for the Tampa Bay region!!
- Save the date for the upcoming spring meeting BBQ to be held on May 18 at 1:00 pm at Fort De Soto Park
- The Tampa Bay Section looks forward to hosting the US National Chemistry Olympiad January-April 2019. Contact us if you or any of your students are interested in participating.