The Tampa Bay Section of the American Chemical Society (section # 406) was established in 1994. We promote public awareness of chemistry by being involved in outreach programs in our community and work with students to encourage an interest in the chemical science arena.
Our membership is encompasses the Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Manatee and Sarasota counties with 700+ members.
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is one of the largest professional organizations that represent the chemical industry. The ACS supports 160,000+ members globally, publishing its weekly C&EN magazine and up-to-date scientific journals.
- Are you interested in playing a more active role in our local section? Positions are available for the 2020 Executive Committee of the Tampa Bay Section of the ACS. The following are the positions on the ballot this October: Chair-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Councilor, and Alternate Councilor. Contact members of the nominating committee, Laura Henchey, John Struss, or Alex Sullivan, for more information.
- Congratulations to Tampa Bay's Senior Chemists Chair, Russ Odland for being awarded the senior chemists grant for $300! Way to go Section members!! Let's keep up the great work for the Tampa Bay region!!
- Save the date: the 7th Annual Oktoberfest will be held on the 23rd of October at 6:00 pm at 3 Daughters Brewing in St. Pete. Our speaker for this year's Oktoberfest is Dr. Erin Pulster from USF College of Marine Science. Each member over the age of 21 will receive 2 free drink tickets, food will be provided, and each member may bring one guest.
- During 2019's International Year of the Periodic Table, National Chemical Week will be celebrated October 20-26, 2019 with the theme "Marvelous Metals". For more information on events, please contact Laura Henchey.
- On November 7th and 8th, Dr. Joe Francisco will be visiting the University of Tampa as part of their Jean Dreyfus Lectureship for Undergraduate Institution Awards. He will give a general community talk on November 7th and a scientific talk on November 8th. Dr. Francisco is a President's Distinguished Professor of Chemistry at the University of Pennsylvania and has countless awards and honors to his name. More can be read about his accomplishments in his ACS feature: https://www.acs.org/…/african-amer…/joseph-s--francisco.html